Sunday, 5 March 2017

What To Do When Your Family Doesn't Support You


Sometimes, I like to test the waters. I’ll throw out a reference to crystal therapy in a conversational way, to see what the reaction will be from my family. One example? I read about crystal infused nail polish in a magazine. So, I casually brought it up to my beauty product loving mom. Her response was less than enthusiastic. She called it silly nonsense. My brother piped in to express his distaste as well.

I have done the same thing with my husband. He already knows that I watch ASMR videos to help me sleep - and has been incredibly supportive about that. To test the waters, I put on a video from my all-time favourite ASMR creator about Chakras. Again, it was a less than desirable response.

Knowing that I do not have the support of my loved ones, this journey of self-discovery, learning, and healing has been a little bittersweet. I keep most of my crystals hidden in colourful boxes (though some are displayed discreetly). I read books on Angel Therapy on breaks at work. I have an iPod full of guided meditations for walks home. There is a stack of oracle cards hidden underneath my office couch.

At this point, I am not comfortable being open with my family about my interests. Though I like to believe this will change someday. If you are dealing with a similar scenario, here are a few suggestions to help you cope.

  • Remember Why You Are Doing This. We all want the approval of our family and friends, but it is important to remember that we cannot live our lives to please others. Whenever you feel stuck or trapped, pause, and remember why you are doing this. It is a journey for and about you.
  • Appreciate The Time You Are Dedicating To Yourself. For me, reading books on crystals and listening to guided meditations is exciting and inspiring. It is dedicated “me time.” I look forward to those hours alone and cherish every moment. You can, too! It is all about the way you view the experience. 
  • Be Understanding With Yourself and Your Loved Ones. It is important to focus on love and compassion. Love yourself for the powerful journey you are on. And love your family for doing their very best. They may not understand your interests…but that may change in the future. Until then, be compassionate, understanding, and open.

How do you deal with unsupportive family members? Share your suggestions and experiences in the comment section below.

- Shannon

1 comment:

  1. I quit trying to talk to my family years ago. I was weird and they were never going to get it. That's okay. We are all on the same path, just in different places along the way. Diversity is such a wonderful thing. Something worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete