Tuesday, 30 May 2017

Doreen Virtue: Don’t Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle


Doreen Virtue is someone that I really respect. It all started on my first trip to a crystal shop when a Charkra meditation CD caught my eye. I bought it, loved it, and used it often. Before long, I was ordering Doreen’s books online, picking up oracle card decks of hers, and checking out her website. When I saw her book, “Don’t Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle: How to Break Free of Negativity and Drama,” on a random shopping trip…I practically lunged for it. I was so excited to start reading.

It didn’t take long for me to make my way through the book. Unfortunately, the content didn’t really connect with me or my life. The main focus of the book is on histamine. Her idea is that people are unhappy, negative, and craving dramatic situations due to a histamine imbalance. The book goes on to list all of the ways to cut back or eliminate histamine from your diet, your home, and your life. Useful? Sure. Yet something about this just didn’t ring true for me.

Perhaps this is because I do not crave drama. At all. So all of the talk about histamines increasing our need to live in a state of drama and chaos did not mesh with my life story. It also touched on issues of trauma and PTSD, which again, was not something that really resonated with me. In short, this book didn’t give me what I was hoping it would. I was expecting a self-help book that provided advice on how to live a more positive, “sparkly” life. There were moments that were enjoyable…. but overall, this was a letdown.

Doreen has written a ton of fantastic books on all sorts of topics. However, “Don’t Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle” was not my favourite. I wasn’t upset to have read it but it isn’t one that I will reach for again and again.

Have you read this book? What did you think of it?


- Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment