Now Shannon and I will both tell you that we are introverts, and we do appreciate some quiet time and time alone. That can be pretty hard to do when you're in 1 room. We didn't have any knowledge of meditations, or visualization or anything at that point, however we were able to enjoy some downtime separately, but together.
I believe that making some time for yourself to decompress while on the trip is important. Too many people come home from trips, exhausted and cranky and they just want to be alone after. This is because you are around your travel companions all the time, and sometimes you just need a break.
Here are some tips to take 5, 10 or 20 mins to yourself:
- Wake up with the sun. Most people enjoy sleeping in, especially on vacation. If you can try to wake up with the sun. If you are on a resort on an island, then sit out on the balcony, and watch the wonder that is a sunrise. They are absolutely magical and will help start your day off right.
- Bring a book. Books can sometimes be your best travel companion. You can bring one anywhere and just get lost in someone else's story for a bit. It doesn't have to be a work of fiction. Sometimes a self help book read in a different country can help to inspire you and make you realize that you can achieve anything.
- Meditate. Ok this you can do anywhere at any time throughout the day. Don't want others to know that you're doing it? Well you can do one of two things. 1- Make an excuse to go back to your room for a moment. Take 5 mins there to sit and visualize serenity and peace. 2- Put a few guided meditations on your ipod. Throw your headphones on and lay back and catch some rays. No one will think you're doing anything, but sunbathing! Remember your sunscreen!
- Find a way to spend some time with your element. Are you a water sign? An air sign? A fire sign? An earth sign? Whatever your sign is, try to spend some time with it. Stick your toes in the sand, sit around a campfire, feel the breeze blow about you or hop into the ocean. Connecting with your element will bring you to a place where you can be happy and connect with yourself for even just a few moments.
- Be mindful. While eating or doing an activity, take a moment to look around you. Take in the beauty that is the country around you. Look at the different colours and all the different different things that makes that country great. This world really is a work of work of art, so take a moment and be thankful for being apart of it!
Taking a trip with friends or family doesn't have to be stressful or chaotic. You shouldn't want to kill each other by the end of it. Try one of the above tips to make your trip a little more peaceful. You will be grateful you did!