Sunday, 23 July 2017

Positivity Is Power


We are our own worst critics. As women, a sense of judgement is ingrained in us – whether we choose to accept it or not. Some people blame the media. Others point the finger at misogynistic viewpoints. Unrealistic expectations. The idea of a weaker sex. For a long time, this seemed acceptable to me. It was this normal, unspoken thing that happened in the world. As a result? My self-esteem was low, I constantly compared myself to others, and felt undeserving of love and happiness.

It wasn’t until after I had graduated from University that things began to shift. As I discovered more about myself – my true self – my confidence grew. Bit by bit. Slowly but surely. That journey continues to this day. As I focus more on my path, my beliefs, and my goals, my strength as a woman becomes stronger. Though, I confess, it has been difficult to watch the societal changes over the last few years.

For example, gossip websites pit successful women against each other. YouTube comments are loaded with sexist comments, not to mention threats of rape and violence. The President of the United States tweets derogatory things about successful women. Online forums call for boycotts of female-led movies, like Ghostbusters and Wonder Woman. Simply put? It is a scary time to be an outspoken woman.

That is why it is time for us to come together. Though we all have moments where we criticize ourselves and our fellow females…. we can be the change. There are people in this world that want women to fight one another. To be “catty” or “overly emotional.” To conform to their distorted ideas of what it means to be a girl.

It is essential that we treat each other with respect, fight against social injustice, and make this world a beautiful place. I pledge to be kinder to myself and to others…. because positivity is power. Will you join me? 

- Shannon 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Shannon! Thanks for the reminder of how we, as women, can "go high, when they go low." (As one famous woman put it ;) Treating each other, as woman, with the kind or respect that we ask of men is a pretty good place to start, right?! ~Anna at www.thawingout.org

    ReplyDelete