Tuesday, 18 July 2017

The Problem With Comparison


Comparison has always been a part of my life. Whether I was comparing myself to my older sister, girls in my elementary school class, or fictional TV characters…. it just seemed to happen. They were beautiful, cool, and confident. (Everything I felt I would never be.) Plus, there was no way they would ever worry about how they looked or what other people thought of them. Quite simply, I just didn't measure up. 

Yes, I have spent my entire life comparing and critiquing. And it all centered around the idea that I was different, other, or not enough. The funny thing is? Most women spend their lives doing the exact same thing. Day in and day out. We endlessly wonder what it would be like to look a certain way or live a brag-worthy life. As if those things would take away all of the self-doubt and fear that lives inside of us. It won't.....because we were raised to compare, compare, compare.

Growing up, we heard our mothers, aunts, and female role models make negative comments about themselves (or other women). We saw supermodels with airbrushed thighs. We watched girls in movies change themselves to become popular. Society has trapped us in a never-ending cycle of negativity. That cycle keeps us feeling small and scared - so we never tap into our true power as strong, beautiful, supportive women.

My advice? Do your best to avoid the comparisons. Whenever a thought like, "I wish I looked like her,” or “I could never pull off that hairstyle,” pops into your head, think OUT! As that thought dissolves, you will be able to focus on what really matters: love and support. Another way to fight back against comparison is to shower yourself with positive affirmations. 
  • I love myself. 
  • I am beautiful. 
  • I am strong. 
  • I am confident. 
  • I do not compare myself to others.

The more loving you are with yourself....the less likely you are to compare yourself to others. You will already know that you are more than enough. Comparison may be a part of our past but it doesn’t have to be a part of our future. Fight back against this negative conditioning and let your authentic self shine through.


- Shannon 

1 comment:

  1. This is so true but if you think about it, somebody is probably looking at you and thinking "I wish I was like them" so really we should flip it on the positive instead and celebrate ourselves. Perfection doesn't exist

    ReplyDelete